This is one of those quickie recipes we’ve used for years but never think much about it. I thought I’d share it here to go with our new cassava tortillas.
- 1 cup walnuts or sunflower seeds
- 1 8oz can mushrooms, drained
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Chop walnuts into very coarse pieces (a mini food processor makes this easy).
- Add remaining ingredients, and chop until combined and the mushrooms are in small pieces.
- Let flavors meld for a few minutes before serving. Store unused meat in the fridge, for up to 3 days.
- Siete Foods Habanero Hot Sauce is our favorite.
- A walnut-sunflower seed combo is also delicious.
- Fresh mushrooms can be used instead of canned.
- Mushrooms can be omitted entirely, but a little moisture (such as water or a little coconut oil) will help bind the mixture together.
- Adding a tablespoon of hemp seeds at the end is delicious, too.
- Awesome on salads or nachos.
- Awesome on Romaine lettuce leaf tacos on a hot summer day.