We really love microwave mug cakes around here. We often make them from scratch (but they’re experimental so we don’t have a tried-and-true recipe to share here yet!), but we really like these Enjoy Life brownie mixes, and it turns out they make amazing mug cakes!
- 4 heaping teaspoons of Enjoy Life brownie mix
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp water
- Mix in a microwave safe mug or bowl (paper bowls work for this, but they can get soggy, and they’re not our first choice). It should be a thin pudding consistency.
- Microwave for 90 seconds. We have a 1000-watt microwave and 90 seconds is perfect for us. Other microwaves we’ve used have needed 60 seconds or 2 full minutes, so you’ll have to test your own microwave the first couple times you make this. When your cake looks 80-90% dry on top, it’s ready.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating. It will continue to cook as it cools, and it’s very hot!
- This works with every cake mix we’ve tried, but Enjoy Life is our favorite. I’m sure this works with gluteny mixes, too.
- Coconut oil is optional, but it makes for a really moist cake.
- You may need more water. We’ve noticed in really dry climates, we need more.
- Enjoy Life brownie mix contains mini chocolate chips to make the cake extra chocolatey and delicious, but you can add your own chocolate chips before cooking for extra chocolatey goodness.
- Top cakes fresh from the microwave with a tablespoon (or more) of nut butter or sunbutter to melt into “frosting.”
- Top cakes with vegan ice cream, whipped cream, and cherries for a seriously amazing sundae.