Pre-mixed chili powder is easy to find at just about every grocery store, but it’s also pretty easy to make yourself. Plus you can give it your own custom flare based on preferences and needs. Mine has only a mild heat and the actual proportion of cumin in each batch varies depending on my mood.
This will not quite fill an empty spice jar, but can easily be halved, doubled, or tripled and stored in a mason jar.
- 4 tbsp ground ancho chile
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Mix in a small bowl or glass, and use a small funnel to pour into an empty spice jar.
- If you like heat, replace any amount of ancho with chipotle or other ground chile.
- The ancho chili tends to be a pretty mild pepper, but you can replace any amount of ancho with paprika for less heat.
- If you can’t eat garlic, just leave it out.
- If you can eat onions, add 1 tsp ground onion powder.
- Cocoa powder is totally optional, but adds some nice depth.
Published on December 31, 2018.