This is a thin frosting that’s quick to make and goes well on cakes and cupcakes, like this Teff Chocolate Cake.
- 3 tbsp vegan cream cheese, VERY soft
- 2 tbsp vegan butter, VERY soft
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- With a fork or electric mixer, whisk cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until well-combined
- Add powdered sugar a little at a time, until it’s a consistency you like. Whisk until all lumps are gone. If using an electric mixer, turn this into butter cream cheese frosting by whipping until it almost doubles in volume. You may need a little extra sugar.
- Use it on cooled cakes, cinnamon rolls, or anything that likes frosting. Can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- Substitute any favorite flavor extract for the vanilla. Try lemon, strawberry, maple, or chocolate.
- Skip the cream cheese, use extra butter and sugar, and have butter cream frosting instead. Continue adding sugar (usually up to an extra cup) and mixing until it’s fluffy enough for your liking.
- Most powdered sugar is actually sugar mixed with cornstarch. If corn is a problem for you, there are corn-free powdered sugars out there. I usually buy Wholesome Sweetener Powdered Sugar, which uses tapioca starch.
Published on January 21, 2019.